The Lake Superior Writers Club has recently announced its 2013 writing contest. Whether it's poetry or fiction, the contest is open to all writing styles.
Liz Minette, a board member for the club and the chair for the contest, said the contest was started in 1998 by the Lake Superior Writers Organization board of directors.
Now, the contest is hosted by the Lake Superior Writers Organization, a nonprofit that offers support for local writers. The annual writing contest is one of the organization's periodic writing contests that is meant to encourage upcoming writers to show their work and gain exposure, Minette said.
“It is meant to recognize, highlight and honor some of the best writers in the Lake Superior region,” Minette said.
Membership in the Lake Superior Writers club is required to enter this contest. To become a member of the club, writers must submit their writing, along with a $35 membership fee, to the organization. Membership applications can also be completed online.
Memberships are renewable and include open entry in the contest, along with reduced fees on workshops hosted by the organization. Young writers between 6 and 12 years of age can enter the contest free of charge. The main prize winner, along with other winners in the contest, will also get a chance to read their work at a meeting held by the organization every year.
There will be three genres in which writers can enter their work, and winners will be announced within each of the three categories. The three winners will each receive a $100 prize as well as a $50 gift card. Guidelines for the contest can be found on the Lake Superior Writers Organization website.
Other upcoming writing events in the Duluth area -
- April 1: Lake Superior Writers deadline for the 2013 Writing contest. For more information visit http://lakesuperiorwriters.org/contest-2/
- April 8 & 9: Writing Nature: A Literary Nonfiction Symposium is a two-day event that will explore creative nonfiction with an environmental focus. April 8 will be from 4 to 6 p.m. at the UMD Library in the 4th floor rotunda. April 9 will be from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. in UMD Bohannon Hall, Room 343.
- April 17: Lunch with Author Susan Vreeland at 12 p.m. at the Iron Range Auditorium. She will also be speaking at 7 p.m. at Lincoln Park Middle School.
- April 18: One Book Program with Susan Vreeland at 7 p.m at Cloquet Public Library.
- April 18: Duluth Public Library (DPL) Book Club at 6:30 p.m. at the Duluth Public Library. Will be discussing "Clara and Mr. Tiffany" by Susan Vreeland.
- April 26: C.K Williams will speak at 7:30 p.m. at Somers Lounge at the College of St. Scholastica.
- May 16: Duluth Public Library (DPL) Book Club at 6:30 at the Duluth Public Library. Will be discussing "Reading Lolita in Tehran" by Azar Nafisi.
Other weekly/monthly events:
- Children's Writing Group meets the second Monday of every month.
- Open Genre Group meets the third Wednesday of every month from 6 to 8 p.m. at Sara's Table/Chester Creek Café.
- Play-Reading Group meets the fourth Thursday of every month at 5 p.m.
- Writer's Square Table Group meets the third Thursday of every month at 11:30 a.m. at Sara's Table/Chester Creek Café.
- Memoir Writing Group meets the third Sunday of every month at 1:30 p.m. at Sara's Table/Chester Creek Café.
- Murderous Ink meets every Thursday at 5 p.m.
- For more information about these groups, visit http://lakesuperiorwriters.org/writing-groups/